Beginning Clawhammer Banjo
Since the dawn of humanity, we have always sung in joy and in sadness; sung in community; sung in sacred times and in every day work... These have been a challenging couple of years, but we must keep singing; we must find a way! We can all sing. Come experience the beauty born in the joy of using our voices and creating harmonies together -- even if we must learn the songs over a computer screen and finally gather wearing masks! It is all part of caring for each other and keeping our community safe. I can't wait to share these beautiful songs with you and finally hear your voices rising together again!
Winter-Spring 2022 Season Details:
- Instructor/Director: Leela Grace
- COVID Information: Rehearsals will generally take place via Zoom. If/when the community transmission in the Portland area declines significantly, we may have limited in-person meetings. At that point, proof of full vaccination (including relevant booster) will be required, masks will be worn -- preferably N95s -- and we will be in a well-ventilated or outdoor space. The performance will be at an outdoor location TBD.
- Rehearsals: Via Zoom (with possible, limited, in-person meetings depending on COVID) Mondays 7:00-8:15pm for 9 weeks from January 31-March 28, with a possible additional rehearsal on April 4. Each Zoom rehearsal will likely be recorded and available to watch later if you have to miss the live meeting.
- Performance: Date, time, and place TBD but the date will likely be the weekend of April 2-3 or April 9-10.
- Content and Details: We will be performing a beautiful collection of songs from the roots and branches of the American music tradition. Some are songs that director/instructor, Leela Grace, has taught informally in her By-Ear Harmony Singing classes over the last 15 years. Some songs will be newly arranged and we will work to hone them all beautifully for our concert! There will also be possible (optional) opportunities for more challenge (in the form of creating your own duo or trio harmonies for specific songs or stepping out to sing a solo).
- Requirements/Pre-requisites: All singers who have taken one or more of Leela Grace's By Ear Harmony Singing classes, have previously sung with the Chorus or ResistSing, (or by permission of the Director) are welcome -- no audition necessary! All songs will be taught by ear (and you will receive audio files to aid in practice). If you have not taken one of Leela's By-Ear Harmony Singing classes before but have a bit of singing experience, please get in touch to find out if you are able to join!
- Cost: There are five tiers, designed with the hope that each singer who wants to join will find an accessible option. Please get in touch if none of these work for you but you still want to join. We can also arrange installment payments if needed.
- Pay It Forward: $350. Thank you for your generosity! If you choose this tier, you will be making it possible for one more singer to join at the Scholarship or the Struggling Artist/Low/No-income level.
- Full Price: $250.
- Family (for two singers from the same household/family): $400. Choose this option if you are registering for two members of the same household/family and need a bit of a financial break to make this possible!
- Scholarship: $150. Choose this option if you want to join but can't afford the full price or are also signing up for another class at Rose City Folk School.
- Struggling Artist/Low-/No-Income: $90. This tier is only available by permission and there are limited slots available. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if a slot is still available or to be put on the waiting list. No explanation is necessary -- we need your voice and don't want finances to be a barrier! As more generous singers choose the "Pay It Forward" tier, more slots will become available.